Traditional kheer made easy and flavourful
Time: 1 Hour
- 50 gm medium grained rice
- 1.5 litres whole milk
- Sugar to taste
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder made from SPRIG World’s Finest Cardamom Pods or 1 ml SPRIG cardamom extract
- 1-2 tbsp nuts
- 4-5 raisins
- 1 tsp ghee
- In a saucepan, heat the ghee. Add the chopped nuts along with raisins.
- Set aside when raisins get plump and nuts turn reddish brown.
- In the same pan, roast the rice for 2-3 minutes in low heat.
- Now add the milk. Increase the heat to med-high and let it come to a boil.
- Give it an occasional stir so that the milk does not stick to the bottom.
- Also take care not to let the milk burn. Even a little burn spoils the milk. Add sugar and give it a stir.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the milk has reduced in half.
- Keep stirring often. You know it is done when the milk has reduced and also the rice has cooked and is soft (not mushy). This process takes approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Add rest of the ingredients – saffron, cardamom extract or powder and half of the roasted nuts.
- Give it a stir until combined and serve garnished with the remaining nuts.
- You can serve it hot or cold. The pudding thickens with time – you can correct it by adding more warm milk to it.