Yuzu Japanese Chiffon Cake
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 60 minutes
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 80 g castor sugar
- 50 g vegetable oil
- 60 g water
- 90 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp. SPRIG Japanese Yuzu Extract
- 6 tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 3- 4 drops of SPRIG Marigold Yellow All-Natural Colour Extract
- 1 tsp. SPRIG Extract of Natural Bourbon Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 170 C.
- Lightly whisk egg yolks and 20 g of sugar for 5 minutes at high speed till it doubles in volume, and becomes thick and light yellow in color.
- Add in vegetable oil, Yuzu extract, Vanilla extract, yellow food colour and water to the mixture. Stir in and combine well with a spatula.
- Add in cake flour and desiccated coconut to the liquid mixture, combine it well and set it aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites for few seconds at low speed till they become a little foamy. At high speed, gradually add in sugar (spoon by spoon), and beat till stiff or firm peaks form. (It takes around 5 minutes for stiff peaks to form)
- Fold in 1/3 portion of meringue to the cake mixture and fold in lightly. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in rest of the meringue with the cake mixture, combine it well.
- Add the cake mixture into a pan. A Bundt pan works great, but other shapes can be used as well. Bake the cake batter at 170 degrees C for an hour.
- Immediately invert the cake pan on a wire rack. Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool. Enjoy!
Recipe and Images Courtesy: Nikita Gupta (https://piquantpeaches.wordpress.com)