Ginger and Orange Bundt Cake
Yield: one 9 inch bundt cake (serves 7-8)
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 35-40 mins
- 150g unsalted butter
- A pinch of salt
- 20g oil
- 2 eggs
- 70ml caramel
- 30 ml milk
- 40g Sprig Ginger Marmalade
- 60ml orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 150g sugar
- 170g flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 100g cream cheese
- 80g icing sugar
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat up the milk for about 1 minute, then add the Sprig Montane Ginger Marmalade and mix well, keep aside to cool. Zest and juice a large orange in a separate bowl and keep aside.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C, grease and flour a 9 inch bundt pan.
- In a separate bowl, take room temperature butter, oil, sugar and salt and whisk till incorporated well. (You can also use a hand blender or stand mixer)
- Add the eggs one by one, whisking after each addition, then add vanilla, orange juice and zest. Mix until blended.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon into the butter mixture and then add the caramel. Whisk well, but do not over mix.
- Add the batter into the bundt pan (it should fill about 3/4th of the pan) and bake for about 30-35 minutes depending on your oven. Check after 30 minutes, remove from the oven when a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.*
- Let the cake cool for about 15-20 minutes in the bundt pan, then remove into a serving plate. Be careful with the cake as it is very delicate.
- For the glaze take room temperature cream cheese and mix with a spatula till there are no lumps, then add the sugar and mix well. (You may add a little milk if the glaze is too stiff)
- Glaze the cake once it is cooled to room temperature. Serve as it is or top it with crushed nuts.
Recipe and image courtesy of bakesalotlady.com