Delicious and colourful snacks for the kids with healthy almonds.
Time: 1 hr. 30 mins.
- 4 large egg whites (or 5 small)
- 70 gm sugar
- 230 gm pure icing sugar
- 120 gm almond meal
- 2 gm salt (tiny pinch)
- SPRIG All Natural Extracts (Food and Beverage Colours)
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C.
- Place egg whites and sugar in a bowl and mix with electric mixer until stiff enough to turn the bowl upside down without it falling out, continue to whip for 1-2 more minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 4 batches. Add food colouring and continue to mix for a further 20seconds.
- Sift the almond meal and icing sugar and salt twice, discarding any almond lumps that are too big to pass through the sieve.
- Fold into the egg white mixture. It should take roughly 30-50 folds using a rubber spatula.
- The mixture should be smooth and a very viscous, not runny. Over-mix and your macaroons will be flat and have no foot, under mix and they will not be smooth on top.
- Pipe onto trays lined with baking paper, rap trays on the bench firmly (this prevents cracking) and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.