A delicious accompaniment to your tea/coffee for an evening snack with a strong cinnamon flavour
Time: 3 hrs
- ¼ ounce package yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup scalded milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup melted butter, plus more for pan
- ¾ cup sugar, plus more for pan
- 5 ml cinnamon extract or 3-4 cinnamon quills 3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans, optional.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp SPRIG All Natural Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons hot water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth.
- Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1½ hours.
- When doubled in size, punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon extract and sprinkle over buttered dough.
- Sprinkle with walnuts, pecans, or raisins if desired. Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices.
- Coat the bottom of baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned. Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.