Enjoy the rich, mellow flavours of vanilla with a dash of cinnamon
time: 4 hrs.
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 package (2 ¼ tsp) active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cinnamon quills with sugar or 4 tbsp SPRIG Cinnamon Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered cinnamon sugar for dusting.
- 1 SPRIG Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Pod or 8ml SPRIG All Natural Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- For Beignets: warm the milk in a small pan and add the yeast to it. Stir gently until dissolved.
- Put the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and blend the dry ingredients briefly.
- Set the mixer on low speed and slowly pour in the milk mixture, mixing until the dry ingredients are moistened. Slowly dribble in the eggs, mixing for a few seconds between additions.
- Increase the speed and mix until the butter is incorporated and the dough becomes smooth and elastic and pulls away from the sides and bottom of the bowl, about 8 minutes.
- Put the finished dough in a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Dip your hands in the flour and pull off a small piece of dough about the size of a prune. And fry till golden and puffed.it should be slightly springy when pressed at room temperature.
- For Sauce: heat milk along with the vanilla extract or bean pod until just about to boil. If you are using bean pod, discard it.
- Cream egg yolk and sugar.
- Add the warm milk to the egg yolk sugar mix and cook again till it coats the back of the spoon.
- Serve 3 pieces with the vanilla sauce drizzled.