Chocolate Cupcake with Caramel Centre & Strawberry Swirls
Yield: 6 Cups
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Passive Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup cake flour remove 2 tbsp. Flour from 1 cup of it and replace that with equal amount of cornflour
- 2 tbsp. Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup refined oil
- 2 eggs or, 1/4 cup yogurt for an eggless version
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp SPRIG salted caramel
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream chilled
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract for frosting
- 2 tbsp. Mashed strawberries
- 2 fresh strawberries sliced – for garnish
- Line a tray with baking sheet. Now, pour the caramel sauce in six different points. Leave ample space in between as they will spread. Now, put it in the freezer for an hour to harden.
- After sometime, start preparing the batter. Beat the eggs or yogurt with sugar to make a smooth liquid. Add oil and vanilla extract and beat it again till smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Sieve them nicely so that they mix well.
- Now, gradually mix the dry ingredients int he wet one while folding it gently.
- Once the batter is ready, take the chilled caramel pieces out of the freezer. Start assembling the cupcakes. Pre-heat your oven.
- Take 6 paper coffee cups and line them on a baking tray. We are going to fill half way through the cups with the batter. So, start filing the cups. While you are through 1/4th of it, take one piece of caramel and drop it. Pour the rest of the batter to fill it till half. The caramel might be still sticky, so use a butter knife to take out from the baking sheet.
- Once 6 of the cups are filled, place them in your oven and bake them at 180ocfor 12-14 minutes. Check with a toothpick if it is done.
- Once you take them out, let them cool down completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, take the chilled whipping cream and whisk it with an electronic hand beater on medium-high speed for almost 8-10 minutes or till stiff peaks form. Add vanilla extract and mashed strawberries for flavour. If your cupcakes have cooled down completely, then pipe the frosting on the top in the form of swirls. Decorate each of them with sliced strawberries. Serve chilled.
Recipe and images by Priyanka Bhattacharya of HashDiaries