Spicy chicken strips combined with bell peppers and onions, served with tortillas and a dash of vinegar
Time: 30 mins.
- 750 gm skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced lengthwise (root to tip) into ¼ inch strips
- 3 bell peppers of various colours, sliced into ¼ inch strip
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp SPRIG Roasted Chilli Oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp Chipotle chilé flakes
- ½ tsp Pasilla chilé flakes
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 8-12 flour tortillas or chappatis
- Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed lightly with salt and cider vinegar
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a glass or plastic container. Add the chicken, mix well, cover and let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat a large cast iron frying pan on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add a tablespoon of garlic infused olive oil, lay the chicken breast pieces in the pan. Let the chicken cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes.
- Once seared on the second side, remove to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, cook the onions and peppers. Add a tablespoon of roasted chilli oil to the frying pan. Heat on high.
- As soon as the oil is hot, add the onions and peppers to the pan.
- Use a metal spatula to scrape up some of the browned bits from the chicken and stir to coat the onions and peppers with the oil and brown bits.
- Spread the onions and peppers in an even layer in the pan. Let them cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. You want them to sear with some blackening.
- Stir the vegetables and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Slice the chicken against the grain into strips.