Cheesy Sichuan Chicken Rice Balls
Prep time 10mins
Idle time: 1hr
Cooking time : 20mins
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 tbsp of Sprig Sichuan Chilli Paste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 4 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 cups of ground chicken
- 1-3/4 cups seasoned bread crumbs/rolled oats
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, rice, 1 tbsp of oil, salt and pepper to a boil. Cook until the rice is tender.
- In a large pan, heat the remaining oil. Sautee garlic, ginger, chillies and onion.
- When the raw smell of the spices is gone, add the ground chicken.
- Mix the Sichuan chilly paste with 1/4th cup pf water and add it to the chicken on the pan.
- When the chicken is cooked and oil starts to reappear, add the cooked rice.
- Mix well. Add the cheese and turn the flame when cheese just starts to melt.
- Let it cool down for 5 mins and then roll the rice cheese mixture into small balls.
- Refrigerate it for an hour or overnight.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat the rice balls (one at a time) in the egg batter, followed by all purpose flour, egg batter again and finally with the bread crumbs/rolled oats.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer/wok. Fry rice balls, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.