Black Rice, Sweet Potato & Spiced Grape Medley
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 minutes
- 150 g Black Rice
- 3 medium size Sweet Potato
- 2 litres Milk
- 5 – 6 pieces of Cardamom (finely ground)
- 1 Sprig Jar of Love Coconut and Ginger
- 4 TBSP Jaggery
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- 5 – 6 Cloves
- Bay Leaves
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- ½ kg Black Grapes
- 1 litre Heavy Cream
- Malt Vinegar
- Clarified Butter
Black Rice Pudding
- Soak the black rice in water overnight.
- Heat the milk in a thick bottomed pan until it comes to a boil, and add the soaked rice. Stir the mixture continuously to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom. Continue until the rice is softened and mushy and the milk has reduced to 1/4th of its original quantity.
- Now add a teaspoon of cardamom powder and 3 TBSP of Sprig Jar of Love Coconut, Caramel and Ginger spread and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off after this.
Sweet Potato Mousse
- Wash the sweet potato properly and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Peel off the skin once cooked and dice the sweet potatoes into small pieces and sauté it in clarified butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the heavy cream and jaggery and let the sweet potato cook until the mixture turns into a sticky, mushy paste.
- Pass it through a fine sieve, repeat the sieving process through sequentially finer sieves to turn it into a mousse or skip the sieving process and blend it through a hand blender until it turns into a mousse.
Spicy Black Grapes Sauce
- Roast around 10- 15 grapes in the oven for 5 mins at 120 degrees and blend the remaining grapes with 2 TBSP of sugar.
- Heat 1/2 litre of malt vinegar with cloves, bay leaves and cinnamon for 5 minutes until the vinegar absorbs all the flavours from the dry spices. Add in the grapes juice and let the mixture thicken to the desired consistency and add in the roasted grapes.
- Once everything has come down to a room temperature, let it set in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Layering the three components in a serving glass with the Black Rice Pudding at the bottom and the Spicy Black Grapes Sauce at the top so that the sweet and the spicy flavours balances properly with every scoop.
Recipe and Photographs Courtesy: Choukascribled (Antara Boruah)