To quote Oprah, we love bread! We love it in all its forms, sweet and savoury. We love it buttered, toasted, with chocolate spread, or as a savoury side with our pastas and grills. As an incredibly versatile food item, there are many ways to enjoy bread.
We would like to take you on a delicious journey over the next few weeks by sharing some of our favourite bread recipes. We hope not only to give you fun recipes to try out, but also innovative ways to enjoy different types of bread. For our first bread-venture, we’ve decided to go with a classic: Banana Bread!
We’ve all made the mistake of letting bananas sit in the fruit bowl for far too long. The humble banana often gets forgotten in favour of another fruit or snack. But the best way to use those bananas (and get rid of that guilt) is to make delicious banana bread. Banana bread gives overripe bananas a second life and you have the added benefit of a new snack, breakfast option or dessert in your kitchen.
Now, hear us out. We understand that baking requires a bit of effort and some spare time. We do, however, have an amazing recipe that is equal parts simple and delicious. Banana bread is easily customisable and can be altered according to dietary needs and preferences. In our recipe, we’ve offered gluten-free and vegan options as well so that everyone can try baking this at home.
Let’s get started!
– 2-3 overripe bananas (or 1 ½ cups), to be peeled and mashed
– 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour of your choice (oat or almond)
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– ½ cup melted butter, can be salted or unsalted / ⅓ cup of oil
– ¾ cup of Sprig Coconut Palm Sugar mingled with a Quartet of Brown Spices
– 1 teaspoon of Sprig Natural Bourbon Vanilla Extract
– A pinch of salt (go easy on this if you’re using salted butter)
– Optional: ½ cup of nuts or chocolate chunks for extra flavour
Note: you can adjust the measurements according to the size of your baking trays.
1. Preheat your oven to 175°C and grease your baking tray.
2. In a bowl, cream together the butter and Sprig Coconut Palm Sugar until light and fluffy. Add the mashed bananas into the bowl and mix well.
3. In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Add the flour mixture into the banana mixture little by little and stir until it is well combined.
5. Once the flour mixture has been mixed in entirely, add Sprig’s Natural Bourbon Vanilla Extract and mix once more.
6. Pour the batter into your greased tray and place into the preheated oven for 60-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean.
7. Once baked, let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
For the best possible flavour, we are using a host of Sprig products for this recipe. The products’ flavour profiles will lend to making a spiced, moist banana bread like no other. The Natural Bourbon Vanilla Extract and Coconut Palm Sugar Mingled with a Quartet of Brown Spices will elevate the richness of the banana and leave you with a heady flavour mix of vanilla and spices like star anise, cinnamon and cloves. Much like the intoxicating aromas wafting out of your favourite childhood bakery! Not only do Sprig products come with authentic flavour profiles, but they are also free of preservatives, synthetic chemicals and additives, making them an excellent addition to any kitchen.
The process of making the banana bread might be a little time consuming, but the best things in life often are. Homemade banana bread usually lasts 3-4 days if kept outside, and one week if refrigerated. Make sure to put it in an airtight container so that it retains moisture.
For extra sweetness, consider drizzling our Salted Caramel Spread or Cinnamon-imbued Honey on top of a slice or serving it along with a cup of Sprig green tea for an evening snack.
Explore our incredible range of products and tag us in your baking escapades with Sprig on Instagram!
Keywords: Easy Banana Bread recipe; Banana Bread eggless; Sprig Vanilla Extract; Vegan Banana Bread; Coconut Palm Sugar uses; Sprig Coconut Palm Sugar uses.