Banoffee Swirled Pavlova
Time: 60 – 75 minutes (excluding resting time)
Serves: Makes one 8-inch Pavlova
- 100 g Egg whites at room temperature (about 4 eggs)
- 180 g Super fine sugar/castor sugar
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp SPRIG Extract of Natural Bourbon Vanilla
- 1 tsp white vinegar/balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 2 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. Sprig Banoffee
- Freshly Whipped Cream
- Banoffee Drizzle (recipe below)
- Fruit of choice (I used Cherries)
- Preheat your oven to 120 C, line a baking sheet about 9×11 inches in size with parchment paper.
- Draw a 7-inch diameter circle on the opposite surface of the parchment (put the side of the parchment that has the pencil marking on the sheet, it shouldn’t be facing up). This is done so that you have a guideline for spooning out the meringue (it will increase in size as it bakes). You may skip this step if desired.
- Ensuring that your mixing bowl is clean and free of grease, add the egg whites and the salt and start whipping at a low speed using a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Once it becomes frothy, add the castor sugar little by little constantly whipping the whites.
- Once you add all the sugar, add the vanilla extract and vinegar and continue whipping till you reach stiff peaks.
- Now, sift in the corn flour and cocoa powder and fold it in very gently.
- Spoon about 3/4th of this meringue into the baking sheet using the circle as a guideline.
- Add the Banoffee spread to the remaining meringue and fold it until well combined, now spoon this mixture on top of the chocolate meringue mixture gently swirling it with the spoon.
- Bake at 120 C for 60-75 minutes, the outer part of the pavlova will dry out and feel firm to touch, it is okay if the surface cracks. Once 75 minutes have passed, leave the pavlova inside the oven, leave the oven door slightly open. Let the pavlova rest like this for at least 2 hours.
- The center of the pavlova may sink, it is totally okay if that happens.
- Right before serving prepare the whipped cream and Banoffee drizzle
- Mix ¼ cup of Sprig Banoffee, 1 tbsp bittersweet chocolate, 1 tsp corn flour and ¼ cup milk. You can either microwave this mixture or heat it on a stove top till it boils. Stir often. Sieve the sauce when it’s still hot and leave it to cool.
Assembly and Plating:
- To assemble, gently transfer the pavlova to a serving platter, dollop the whipped cream on top, add the fresh fruit and drizzle the sauce (cooled) on top. Enjoy!
Recipe and Images Courtesy: Anjali Johny (https://bakesalotlady.com/)